Changes to autism services ‘killing chances for our kids’
Fighting back tears, Krista Smith shared her frustration that her four-year-old son, Conner, who was diagnosed with autism two years ago, will not be given the same opportunities as everyone else in the province.
“Our son is four and he is non-verbal. I don’t know if he will ever have a chance to speak,” she said. “He deserves to have every opportunity that everyone has and it’s just been taken away from him. We won’t be able to afford the services on our own. It’s out of our reach. It’s out of everyone’s reach.”
Smith was one of more than 40 people at a town hall meeting on Saturday hosted by NDP Thunder Bay-Atikokan MP Judith Monteith-Farrell to provide parents and families caring for a person with autism an opportunity to express concerns over recent changes by the Ford government to autism services.
Last month, the Ford government announced plans to clear the waitlist of children waiting for government-funded treatment and provide direct funding to families. The new program would provide $20,000 a year to families with children under six-years-old requiring treatment, while children six to 18-years-old would receive $5,000 a year.
“These therapies are very expensive and parents will not be able to afford them,” Monteith-Farrell said. – tbnewswatch
read full article here
Turns out Ontario is now going to fund Autism Programs pretty much the same way all other provinces do. This is an example of the haves, the people who are now receiving full funding, wanting to keep their more-than-fair-share of those all too scarce funding dollars. Basically all of it. That means people on the waiting list, the have nots, can go screw themselves. THAT is the Canadian way.
Maybe we should find out what causes Autism so we can stop it? I do not believe we are trying very hard at all.